Marketing & Communications Apprentice
This is an 18 month contract to complete the apprenticeship.
If you would like to find out more about the roles, we will hold group remote session calls via Microsoft Teams at 6pm-7pm on 15 and 22 September. If interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you wish to submit a video application please contact email@example.com
Recognising under-representation in our workforce of Black, Asian and global majority people, and those with disabilities, we particularly welcome applicants from those backgrounds, identities and experiences.
ABOUT THE HIPPODROME
We believe arts and culture has the power to bring people, friends and families together to make life-long memories and improve the quality of life for our audiences.
As a proud, independent charity we are on a mission to enrich the cultural life of the region and our vision is clear; we are creating a world-class cultural scene for our region with Birmingham Hippodrome firmly centre stage.
The strength of Birmingham Hippodrome comes from our people; real people with their own thoughts, beliefs, cultures and identities that bring their unique perspective and experiences to our team. We are committed to placing inclusion at the heart of all we do, making it central to our decision making.
We are breaking down barriers and building relationships for us to become a more equitable place for audiences, artists, participants, and our own teams. We do not, and will not, tolerate discrimination of any kind. We are one of the most popular theatres on the national touring circuit, staging a diverse range of world-class touring productions and we are the proud home to Birmingham Royal Ballet, DanceXchange, Dance Consortium and OneDanceUK making Birmingham one of the biggest dance hubs outside of London. We currently reach over half a million people a year through this work and our ambition is to grow and diversify these audiences, ensuring wider access to mainstream theatre for the people of our region.
Our next step is to increase the impact our work has on the region. Plans are in progress to expand our commissioned, produced, co-produced and off site programme of work; increasing our commitment to developing the artists of our region and continuing to extend Birmingham Hippodrome’s artistic footprint beyond our stages. We will continue to invest in further generations, and through our Hippodrome Education Network, youth and apprenticeship programmes, we are creating pathways for people who want to gain valuable experience to support a career in the creative industry.
We are looking for people to join us on this journey at a pivotal time in our evolution; recognising our people and network of talented freelancers and volunteers are core to the growth and success of the organisation.
The future of Birmingham Hippodrome is you. In return for your skills, experience and commitment, we offer a generous benefits package. This includes five weeks holidays plus bank holidays, an annual personal development fund to spend towards your own skills, a complimentary friends membership card for ticket discounts and priority booking for productions, competitive pension scheme, discounted food and beverage in the venue and subsided gym membership.
The Apprentice will have the crucial role of supporting the Marketing & Communications team at a crucial time as we reopen the venue to the general public following our period of closure. Full training will be provided on and the off the job. The Apprentice will complete the NVQ Level 3 course in Digital Marketer. This is an 18 month contract to complete the apprenticeship.
Marketing & Communications
- Gathering assets used for Marketing and/or communication activity including but not limited to images, copy, press and social media information from visiting companies
- Overseeing the day to day upkeep and administration of the venue’s content planning diary
- Provide support for press nights, launches, media events and follow up campaigns
- Creating web pages for the Hippodrome website • Assisting with the creation and/or editing of digital content where needed
- Assisting with email campaigns and mailing lists from the ticketing software
- Liaise with printers and agencies to support creation of Marketing & Communications collateral
- Assist with show print, deliveries and distribution • Oversee upkeep of front of house leaflet displays and digital screens ensuring all assets are up to date
- Assist with proof reading of marketing and communications copy for brochures and website
- Assist with programme design for Hippodrome produced and touring productions
- Ensure departmental electronic filing and general organisation; covering telephone and email messages for team members
- Assist with other team administrative duties including minute taking, room/hospitality bookings, travel bookings, processing invoices and purchase orders
- Comply with all statutory and Hippodrome requirements in the areas of compliance such as safeguarding, GDPR, health and safety. E-learning training (which must be completed during the first three months of employment) as well as internal courses are provided to ensure you have the relevant knowledge in these areas.
- Providing general administrative support to Director of Marketing, Sales and Communications, Head of Communications and Head of Marketing as needed
- Participate in any general administration, projects and other duties as and when required.
- A qualification to show good general written skills.
- No experience is required.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in a helpful, friendly and courteous manner.
- Good written skills.
- Computer literacy including Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Good administration skills.
- Good organisation skills.
- • A working knowledge of website content management systems (CMS) (Desirable, not essential)
Training to be provided:
Apprentices learn the skills they need on the job with the guidance of a development coach who is an expert from industry. You will finish your apprenticeship with a recognised qualification, valuable industry experience, money, and substantial opportunities for promotion.
Training is a blended learning delivery model: online learning, classroom sessions, work-based training, independent research, workplace projects, one-to-one support and training. Your training will include:
● Using Social Media in a business environment
● Developing social media campaigns
● Social media advertising
● Risk, Reputation & Crisis Response
● Project Management
● Search Engine Optimisation
● Email marketing
● Content management systems
● Writing for SEO
● Metrics, Analytics, Reports & Optimisation
● Principles of coding level 3: Vendor Qualification
● CIW Social media strategist: Vendor Qualification
● CIW Internet Business Associate: Vendor Qualification
For a full overview of the digital marketer standard please see: https://creativealliance.org.uk/apprenticeships/digital-marketer-level-3/
We’re committed to three core ideals here at Birmingham Hippodrome and we try to address all our activity with these aims: ‘everyone’s welcome’, ‘nothing but the best’, and ‘do it with flair’. Everyone who works here, no matter what their function in the team, is expected to deliver their job and work with colleagues bearing these attitudes in mind. This person specification lists some of the key attributes we’re looking for in the best candidates for this role.
- Serves the internal and external customer well.
- Responds to requests in a timely way or explains why they are not able to.
- Is tolerant and open minded about all kinds of difference.
- Considers diversity in their work.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age